The picoIL-6 enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kit provides materials for the quantitative measurement of IL-6 in serum and other biological fluids.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
96 well microtiter
HRP-based ELISA, colorimetric detection by dual wavelength absorbance at 450 nm and 630 nm as reference filter
6, 1-125 pg/mL
|Limit of Detection||
Human, Mouse, Rabbit
Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is a member of the IL-6 superfamily, which consists of polypeptide cytokines with a four-α-helix structure and a molecular mass of 21 to 28 kDa. It is produced by the lymphoid and non-lymphoid cells with pleotropic functions ranging from hematopoiesis and metabolic regulation to inflammation, autoimmunity, and acute phase response.
Under normal conditions, IL-6 plays an important role in cellular homeostasis. However, during inflammatory conditions, the concentration of IL-6 increases in several folds. This relates its clinical relevance as a major alarm signal in humans in response to infections (sepsis/septicemia), inflammation, autoimmunity, and cancer.1-3 Increased concentrations of IL-6 have been reported in localized (prosthetic joint infections, periodontitis), and systemic (eg, sepsis, coronavirus 2019 [COVID-19]) infections, autoimmune conditions (eg, rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus, ankylosing spondylitis, and inflammatory bowel disease), and cancers. 3-7 Overall, IL-6 cytokine is nonspecific biomarker of systemic inflammation that may have relevance in clinical decision making in the appropriate context.
1. Rose-John S: Interleukin-6 signalling in health and disease. F1000Res. 2020 Aug 20;9: F1000 Faculty Rev-1013.
2. Jones SA, Jenkins BJ: Recent insights into targeting the IL-6 cytokine family in inflammatory diseases and cancer. Nat Rev Immunol. 2018; 18:773-89
3. Rose-John S, Winthrop K, Calabrese L: The role of IL-6 in host defence against infections: immunobiology and clinical implications. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2017 Jul;13(7):399-409
4. Gallo J, Svoboda M, Zapletalova J, et al: Serum IL-6 in combination with synovial IL-6/CRP shows excellent diagnostic power to detect hip and knee prosthetic joint infection. PLoS One. 2018;13: e0199226
5. Song J, Park DW, Moon S, et al: Diagnostic and prognostic value of interleukin-6, pentraxin 3, and procalcitonin levels among sepsis and septic shock patients: a prospective controlled study according to the Sepsis-3 definitions. BMC Infect Dis. 2019; 19:968
6. Galvan-Roman JM, Rodriguez-Garcia SC, Roy-Vallejo, E, et al: IL-6 serum levels predict severity and response to tocilizumab in COVID-19: An observational study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021; 147:72-80
7. Udomsinprasert W, Jittikoon J, Sangroongruangsri S, et al: Circulating levels of interleukin-6 and interleukin-10, but not tumor necrosis factor-alpha, as potential biomarkers of severity and mortality for COVID-19: Systematic review with meta-analysis. J Clin Immunol. 2021; 41:11-22