The Major Proglucagon Fragment (MPGF) enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kit provides materials for the quantitative measurement of MPGF in EDTA plasma and other biological fluids. This kit is intended for Research Use Only and is not for use in diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
Enquire about animal-specific cross-reactivity
96 well microtiter
HRP-based ELISA, colorimetric detection by dual wavelength absorbance at 450 nm and 630 nm as reference filter
6, 0.05-3 ng/mL
|Limit of Detection||
Major Proglucagon Fragment (MPGF) is an 86-amino acid hormone secreted from the pancreas1-3. MPGF is identified as the Carboxy terminal portion of proglucagon that contains two glucagon-related sequences. The MPGF sequence is highly conserved among mammals. Tissue specific processing of proglucagon in the pancreas releases MPGF. Intestinal processing of MPGF releases the Glucagon-Like Peptides 1 and 2 (GLP-1 and GLP-2)1-5. Measuring the circulating levels of MPGF will help in understanding the defective or abnormal metabolic pathways leading to diabetes and obesity. This kit is designed to measure MPGF.
1. Müller et al., (2017) The New Biology and Pharmacology of Glucagon. Physiol Rev 97: 721–766.
2. Drucker DJ, Habener JF, Holst JJ Discovery, characterization, and clinical development of the glucagon-like peptides (2017) J Clin Invest. 127(12):4217-4227.
3. Bonic A, Mackin RB (2003) Expression, purification, and PC1-mediated processing of human proglucagon, glicentin, and major proglucagon fragment. Protein Expr Purif 28:15–24.
4. Amato A, Baldassano and Flavia Mulè. GLP2: an underestimated signal for improving glycaemic control and insulin sensitivity. Journal of Endocrinology (2016) 229, R57–R66
5. Baldassano S, Amato A, Rappa F, Cappello F & Mulè F (2016b) Influence of endogenous glucagon like peptide-2 on lipid disorders in mice fed a high fat diet. Endocrine Research.
Vol. 41, Iss. 4.
6. HHS Publication, 5th ed., 2007. Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories. Available http://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/BMBL5
7. DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 78–127, August 1976. Current Intelligence Bulletin 13 – Explosive Azide Hazard. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh.
8. Kricka L. Interferences in immunoassays – still a threat. Clin Chem 2000; 46: 1037–1038.
Major Proglucagon Fragment
MPGF ELISA AL-175
Polyzos SA, Perakakis N, Boutari C, Kountouras J, Ghaly W, Anastasilakis AD, Karagiannis A, Mantzoros CS. Targeted Analysis of Three Hormonal Systems Identifies Molecules Associated with the Presence and Severity of NAFLD. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Mar 1;105(3):e390–400. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgz172. PMID: 31690932; PMCID: PMC7112980.
All Products Cited: GLP-1 ELISA AL-172; GLP-2 ELISA AL-174; Glucagon ELISA AL-157; MPGF ELISA AL-175; Oxyntomodulin ELISA AL-139; Follistatin-Like 3 ELISA AL-152; Activin B ELISA AL-150; IGF-I ELISA AL-121; Total IGFBP-3 ELISA AL-120; Intact IGFBP-3 ELISA AL-149; Total IGFBP-4 ELISA AL-126; Intact IGFBP-4 ELISA AL-128; picoPAPP-A ELISA AL-101
Kim S, Abbasi F, Nachmanoff C, Kumar A, Kalra B, Savjani G, Mantzoros C. Effect of Liraglutide Treatment on Proglucagon-Derived Peptides. JESOCI, Volume 4, Abstract Supplement, 2020
All Products Cited: GLP-1 ELISA AL-172; GLP-2 ELISA AL-174; Glucagon ELISA AL-127; Oxyntomodulin ELISA AL-139; Glicentin ELISA AL-185; MPGF ELISA AL-175
Perakakis N, Kalra B, Angelidi AM, Kumar A, Gavrieli A, MYannakoulia M, Mantzoros CS. Methods paper: Performance characteristics of novel assays for circulating levels of proglucagon-derived peptides and validation in a placebo controlled cross-over randomized clinical trial. Metabolism, Volume 129, 2022, 155157, ISSN 0026-0495, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2022.155157.
All Products Cited: GLP-1 ELISA AL-172; GLP-2 ELISA AL-174; Oxyntomodulin ELISA AL-139; Glicentin ELISA AL-185; Glucagon ELISA AL-127; MPGF ELISA AL-175; C-Peptide of Insulin ELISA AL-151