The Myelin Basic Protein (MBP) enzyme linked chemiluminescent immunoassay (CLIA) kit provides materials for the quantitative measurement of MBP in cerebrospinal fluid.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
96 well microtiter
HRP-based enhanced chemiluminescence, utilizing our proprietary AnshLite™ luminogenic substrate
6, 0.34-17.2 ng/mL
|Limit of Detection||
Myelin is the insulating sheath which surrounds neurons. In the central nervous system 30% of the myelin is composed of Myelin Basic Protein.1 the function of MBP is not completely defined, although it may provide structural support. Human MBP is an 18.5 kDa amino acid monomeric protein. The structure of MBP can be divided into 3 segments joined by phenylalanine doublets: A—residues 1-43; B—residues 44-89; and C—residues 90-170.1, 2 Segments A and C, the N- and C-termini of the protein, respectively, are highly homologous. Myelin immunoreactivity in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is generally due to the B-segment; A and C segments are usually present in low or undetectable levels.3, 4
1. Eylar EH, Brostoff S, Hashim G, Caccam J, Burnett P: Basic A1 protein of the myelin membrane: the complete amino acid sequence. J Biol Chem 246:5770-5784, 1971.
2. Whitaker JN: Immunochemical comparisons among myelin basic proteins. Comp Biochem Physiol 59B: 299-306, 1978.
3. Whitaker JN, Gupta M, Smith OF: Epitopes of immunoreactive myelin basic protein in human cerebrospinal fluid. Ann Neurol 20:329-336, 1986.
4. Whitaker JN, Herman PK: Human myelin basic protein peptide 69-89; immunochemical features and use in immunoassays of cerebrospinal fluid. J Neuroimmunol 19:47-57, 1988.
5. HHS Publication, 5th ed., 2007. Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories. Available http://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/BMBL5
6. DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 78–127, August 1976. Current Intelligence Bulletin 13 – Explosive Azide Hazard. Available http:// www.cdc.gov/niosh.
7. Kricka L. Interferences in immunoassays – still a threat. Clin Chem 2000; 46: 1037–1038.
MBP CLIA AL-208
Lu J, Grenache D. Performance Evaluation of the AnshLite Myelin Basic Protein Chemiluminescent Immunoassay using Cerebrospinal Fluid. Poster session presented at American Association for Clinical Chemistry; 2014 Jul 27-31; Chicago, IL.
All Products Cited MBP CLIA AL-208